- Read a book
- Send a motivational message
- Prepare an educational talk
- Lead a Brain Break
- Give a virtual tour of an area/building on campus
The Neighborhood Longhorns Program will follow up with registered volunteers to provide more information, such as book lists, talking points, and sample topics or activities. Keep in mind that your video should be engaging and appropriate for 2nd - 5th graders. Volunteers are encouraged to make their videos fun and lively.
Upon registering, please submit your video within two weeks. See Requirement Details for full guidelines and instructions.
NEIGHBORHOOD LONGHORNS PROGRAM - VIDEO GUIDELINES
Remember that you are representing The University of Texas at Austin and that your video will be shared with 2nd-8th grade students. At the beginning of your video, greet the students (e.g. "Hello UT Elementary!"), then state your name and that you are a student at UT Austin and a volunteer with the Neighborhood Longhorns Program.
- Speak clearly, and make sure audio is easy to understand.
- Use natural light when possible. Subject should face the light, whether natural or artificial, be easy to see and not backlit.
- Make sure background is simple and will not distract from the content.
- Eliminate background noise and interruptions.
- Dress modestly (e.g. no short shorts or revealing tops) and no clothing with profanity, alcohol or drug ads, political or other inappropriate messages. Jeans/long shorts and a plain or Texas-branded t-shirt are acceptable.
- If you are reading a book, share the title and author and hold the book cover up to the camera before reading. While reading, hold book up to the camera or show pictures after reading two facing pages.
- Record video in landscape mode (i.e. horizontal).
- Hold phone/camera as steady as possible.
- Do not use any copyrighted music or footage.
- Video should be no longer than 20 minutes.
Completed videos should be uploaded to UT Box: https://utexas.app.box.com/f/2024154f880a43ccb17436f9d63f7787. Please label your video with the following file name: VOLUNTEER NAME_NAME OF ACTIVITY (e.g. Jane Smith_Goodnight Moon Book).
All videos will be reviewed and approved by the Neighborhood Longhorns Program before sharing with schools.